We’re continuing our discussion on setting up your WordPress design so that it gets the most WordPress SEO bang for your buck. On this episode we’re going to talk about mobile. Obviously mobile is very important, if it’s not obvious to you think about how you use the web; I would guess that most of your time is accessed through your mobile device if you’re not setting at your desk working on something, I know it is for me. Just in case it’s not obvious let’s talk about some statistics.
Mobile Web Design Statistics
- 80% of internet users own a smartphone. (Smart Insights)
- 57% of users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly-designed mobile site. (socPub)
- Google says 61% of users are unlikely to return to a mobile site they had trouble accessing and 40% visit a competitor’s site instead. (MicKinsey & Company)
- 88% of consumers who search for a type of local business on a mobile device call or go to that business within 24 hours. (Nectafy)
- 40% Of Mobile Searches Have Local Intent (Google Mobile Moments Study)
So as you can see mobile is very important if your site doesn’t look good on mobile your losing business or you’re losing customers or your losing the ability to talk to somebody. So what can you do? Well the easiest thing to do is head on over to a site like ThemeForest and look for a theme that’s mobile ready or responsive as they call it, mobile responsive.
WordPress Mobile Design
Most of the top themes now will be that way and my guess is that if your running a website that was built with a theme that that theme has been updated so that it’s mobile responsive. All mobile responsive means is that the site responds to the size of the screen you’re on. So for example things will move around, shrink, hide so that the site looks good on mobile and it’s readable. Also things like font size will change; so a font size that you have on desktop is probably too small and that font size will be ramped up so that it looks good on mobile.
Those are the basics but if you have a theme that works well with mobile then you should be all set to go. If you’re site isn’t mobile ready Edison Avenue Consulting would love to help you out. Head on over to our website give us a shout out and let’s see what we can do for you.